Friday, April 3, 2015

Aubrey's Birth Story - Part One

Written March 22, 2015: As I sit in the hospital room, the first evening with Aubrey, I am just struck by how thankful I am to God. He has really blessed Chance and I in so many ways - two of which are our TWO children: Hudson and baby Aubrey. We don't deserve these gifts, and though I know there will be time that I will take them for granted, my prayer is that God would help to me steward and shepherd their little lives well. What a privilege, blessing, and honor to birth, raise, and parent children.  This verse rings in my heart tonight: "Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward."  Psalm 127:3

And now to her birth story... My second pregnancy was pretty uneventful. I had the typical discomforts like heartburn and back pain, but overall my pregnancy was great. I had expectations that Baby A (since we hadn't named her yet) would arrive on her due date, so we planned that my mom would come for that weekend. A week before she came I thought that my water had broken. After about 20 hours and still no contractions, we decided to go get checked at the hospital. As it turned out my water bag was still in tact and baby was just as cozy as ever. 

Well mom came, the weekend went by, and still no baby had arrived. I was very disappointed and needless to say, I was frustrated that (again!) God chose not to answer my prayer that baby would be born on her due date (side note: Hudson was 11 days past his due date). 

A whole week went by, I went to the doctor again, no changes in my cervix but baby's fluid looked great. I decided to just wait it out. On Friday (March 20) Shayla (Chance's mom) arrived. On Saturday afternoon I thought I was having some mild contractions, but wasn't sure so I didn't mention it to Chance. That evening (early Sunday morning) at about 2am, I was woken up by some pretty uncomfortable contractions. I didn't wake Chance up on the off chance that it wasn't actually labor. I went back to sleep and after another hour went by I woke up again. I decided to time the contractions - 10 minutes apart. These contractions lasted for a few hours, and at 5:30am Chance woke up to use the bathroom. I told him about my contractions and he got excited. We tried to lay back down but ended up just talking on and off. I didn't walk around much because the contractions were getting stronger quickly. At 7am, the contractions were 4-5 minutes apart. 

I contacted Vandi, my wonderful friend and doula, and by 8am she had arrived. Shayla came over in the meantime to watch Hudson. It was quite funny trying to get ready to go to the hospital while Hudson was running around the apartment acting like a rambunctious toddler :) Labor is definitely different when you have another child around! Vandi and I walked the hallway twice and in that amount of time I had had 4 contractions (in 6 minutes). Vandi said we should go to the hospital. So we packed up in the van and Chance dropped us off (then he parked the van at DTS and ran back to the hospital). Vandi helped me get checked in at Baylor and we were taken to a nice corner room in labor and delivery. 

At that point I was in serious pain with each contraction. The nurse checked me once I got into the room, although it was hard for me to even lay down, and I was 8cm dilated! I immediately moved to the birthing ball and leaned on a side table during each contraction. I kept saying "there's so much pressure!". My water bag still hadn't broken and I was feeling discouraged. I told Chance and Vandi that I didn't think I could do this for much longer. The contractions were so intense.  

The nurse checked me again and I was 9cm. The nurses called the doctor and the delivery team to come in. Finally, she checked me again and I was a 10! I had started to push while on the birthing ball and Vandi encouraged me that it was okay. She also kept saying "you're so strong!" which was really helpful since I was doubting my ability to continue laboring. Since my water hadn't broken yet, the nurse asked if I wanted them to break it. I consented and once they did the insane pressure that I had been feeling was relieved. I got into the bed which they had made into a chair, I pushed once and Chance saw her hair! During a break between contractions, I remember telling Chance to pray. He prayed a heartfelt (probably somewhat flustered) prayer. Afterwards he would mention how great a testimony that was. I pushed again and she was almost here! I pushed a few more times during the next contraction and delivered baby Aubrey! 

It was such an intense but joyful experience. Aubrey's birth was amazingly rewarding. We didn't decide until after she was born that her name would be Aubrey Olivia. We are still getting used to it and to the fact that we have two children. What an amazing blessing. God is so good. 

The next day I was able to go home from the hospital because I was feeling great. And then... (To be continued in Part 2). 

No comments:

Post a Comment