Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Week One: Recap

Hudson is officially 8 days old. Wow, that was fast. After two days in the hospital, two appointments at the pediatrician, and two sets of grandparent visits, we are settling into this whole parenting thing quite nicely. I am amazed at how quickly Hudson is changing on a daily basis. One minute he is asleep for hours on end, and then next minute he is alive and alert using his little beady eyes to show us how curious he is about the world around him. The challenges that we have faced so far have only consisted of adjusting to a new sleeping routine and trying to understand his facial expressions when he is fussy. 
Last Wednesday we came home from the hospital and settled Hudson into his new home. He seemed to take to his bassinet quite quickly and slept most of the day away. At night, we fought our anxiety as we lay down, trying not to worry about the next time we would be waking up. He has been feeding very well, and has been ever since day one (I am very thankful for this). On Thursday, my parents arrived from Michigan and came to visit us in the evening. They loved Hudson immediately! As first-time grandparents it was hard not to see their affection from the moment they laid eyes on their grandson. That night, Chance left for work and I was left at home by myself to take care of Hudson through the night. This was a very difficult night. Hudson fussed even before his dad left for work and was basically inconsolable all night long. His mother (i.e. me) was up with him about every 15 to 20 minutes, trying the swaddling techniques that I learned in Happiest Baby on the Block. I still haven't perfected the swaddling art. The next day was a pleasant one with my parents, and we were blessed to have our refrigerator stocked to the brim, our laundry folded, and dinner made for us. Hudson also had his first pediatrician check-up where he weighed in a 6 pounds, 9 ounces--up 4 ounces from Wednesday! Chance was home that night and I felt much less anxious about falling asleep. Hudson was way less fussy and we actually got some decent sleep. 

Over the weekend, we were visited by a few friends and continued to enjoy time with the family. My mother stayed the night on Saturday and relieved me a bit when Hudson woke up around 11:00pm to say that it was time to hang out. I slept until he got hungry and then fed him until his tummy was content. The next morning was the Lord's day. Chance and my parents went off to church, while Hudson and I spent the morning together. He slept, and I attempted to nap to no avail. I am quickly learning that I will need to get better at napping when he does. Thus far I have only fallen asleep a handful of times during the day when he has slept. All in due time I suppose. On Monday morning, my mom and I took Hudson back to the pediatrician who told us that even though he was a week old, he was as alert as a two-week-old! He weighed 6 pounds, 15 ounces and was 19.5 inches long (he grew 1/2 an inch in one week). It's amazing to me how fast newborns grow! We have been told multiple times that we need to soak in the time because it goes very quickly and he is only this tiny for so long. My parents left for Michigan this afternoon. It was a tough goodbye, but we know that we'll see them again before long. 

In the past week, I have been reminded of a few things. The major thing being that God is a gracious and loving God. Hudson is such a precious gift from God and I am amazed and humbled that God would choose to bless Chance and I with him. Yes, it is difficult to be sleep-deprived, but Psalm 127:3 speaks truthfully when it says, "Children are a heritage from the Lord..." Secondly, I am reminded of the importance of a strong, Christ-centered marriage. Chance has been immensely helpful and encouraging in the past week, just as he was during labor. When Hudson fusses at night or wakes up and wants attention, Chance immediately offers to take him before I have to nurse him, so that I can get a few more minutes of sleep. It is a most glorious way of serving me. Lastly, I am reminded of God's unique design of mothers. Although this is my first experience as a mom, having never had any children before Hudson, it has astounded me how comfortable I feel caring for Hudson.  My mothering instincts kicked in immediately after Hudson was first laid on my chest, prior to his delivery. I have felt extremely comfortable nursing, changing diapers, and soothing our tiny baby even though I was never taught how to do these things. God has gifted mothers in such a way that even from the moment your child is born, you feel a strong sense of confidence in caring for your child. It's unexplainable, except that it is a gift from God. 
As the days go by, I will to continue to learn what self-sacrifice means as I put my wants and needs on the back burner to take care of Hudson and to serve my husband. I can honestly say that being a mother is the greatest occupation that I have had, and by the grace of God I will fulfill my role to the glory and praise of God. 

1 comment:

  1. Kathryn, I tell everyone this "you can't take care of anyone else unless you take care of you".