Thursday, August 30, 2012

Is it worth it?

Yesterday, I read a blog post by Kevin DeYoung entitled Questions for our Pro-Abortion Friends, Church Leaders, and Politicians** which was very thought-provoking. I am already convinced, in my own right, that abortion is wrong, offensive to God, and is certainly not the only option. I've watched one or two debates between pro-life Christians and other pro-choice advocates and read many blog posts and articles arguing on both sides of the issue. I believe that it boils down to one question: when is someone considered a human being? The discussion also boils down to one issue: the value of human life. In DeYoung's post he asks a number of essential questions that our draw our attention to the real issue, and cause us to ask ourselves, "Does any person have more intrinsic value than another, based on age, stature, gender, development, etc.?" My answer to this question is a resounding "NO!" Here are my reasons why:

  • Intrinsic value/worth as a human being is a God-given attribute. No one can take your worth from you for you have been made "...in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." (Gen. 1:27)
  • No one is less valuable due to age, environment, or size. Would you really say that your infant is less of a person than your teenager or husband? Why then is a tiny fetus considered less of a person than a child out of the womb?
    • DeYoung asks: "Does the eight inch journey down the birth canal make us human?" What a great question! Does this not reveal the ridiculousness of the argument against a baby inutero not being a human, but one outside of the womb being a human?
  • Worth is not dependent on your capabilities. Most of you have probably seen The Story of Ian and Larissa on the Desiring God blog, which tells the story of a married couple who made the choice to get married despite Ian's limited mental and physical capabilities after an auto accident which happened just a few years ago. Would you say that Ian is less of a person or less worthy of life because he suffered this accident?
The list could go on as I unpack all of the questions that were rhetorically asked in DeYoung's post. I simply would like those of us who are wrestling with this issue to consider the logic behind all sides of the argument. Consider your own being, consider the children that you have or one day hope to have, consider the millions of babies that have thoughtlessly been aborted because hope was not given to their mothers in desperate need of true answers. My husband and I support a wonderful organization The Dallas Pregnancy Resource Center that does give hope to women who are considering their options as they face their pregnancies. I am all the more passionate about the lives of yet unborn children due to the fact that I have one currently in my own womb. It is our responsibility to be aware of the consequences of not valuing this little life as we ought to. I am thankful that God cares about children, born and unborn, and I pray that you would care about them too.

"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb.  praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." -Psalm 139:13-14

**note: the term "pro-abortion" may not accurately represent the other side's stance on the issue, more often those who are not "pro-life" are termed "pro-choice"

No comments:

Post a Comment