Friday, June 28, 2013

Food on Friday: IT'S BACK!

As you may know (or maybe not..) I am
not that gifted of a baker. However, I do very much enjoy to bake sweet breads and muffins, most often incorporating either a vegetable or fruit to the batter. Well this week I made an attempt at baking Gluten Free (Dairy Free) Zucchini Bread for my women's bible study. I am proud to say that the [first] effort was not all that bad! The bread turned out a little more moist than I would have liked. Zucchinis hold a lot of moisture, so next time I would use fewer wet ingredients like one less egg or less oil. I also added some dairy-free (allergen-free) chocolate chips, instead of nuts. Overall, it was dellllicous, but I will take another crack at this recipe in the near future. Enjoy! 

Ingredients
  • 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips (or chopped walnuts)
  • 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded zucchini
    • 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used organic coconut oil instead, which was a good choice for this bread)
      1 cup sugar (I used organic unprocessed sugar)
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
        • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
        • 1 1/2 cups GF flour mix (I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour)
        • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum for each cup of flour (so for this recipe it was 1 and 1/4 tsp)
Directions
  1. Shred the zucchini and chop the walnuts in a food processor and set them aside.
  2. Use a mixer to beat the eggs and add the sugar, oil and vanilla. Add the baking soda, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Slowly pour in the flour and xanthan gum until well mixed. By hand, mix in the zucchini and chocolate chips (or nuts). Pour in greased & floured loaf pan and bake at 350F degrees for 75 minutes. Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment