Wednesday, May 9, 2012

List of Thankfulness

I have been reading through the Psalms (arguably my favorite book of the Bible) for some time now reading one or two a day. And I have noticed many things about the writers who include Asaph, David, Moses and the Sons of Korah: they are characterized by thankfulness. Many of the psalms, though not all, have themes of praise and thanksgiving weaved into the fabric of the verses. Psalms like 106 and 107 (in Book Five) describe periods of time in Israel's history when God did amazing things and the people are called to rejoice, give thanks, praise, and remember Him. Other psalms resound the steadfast love and abundant mercy of God time and time again - extended to his people who cry out to him and who fear him. So as I think about the thankfulness with which the psalmists write, I want to list some things that I am specifically thankful for today:
  • The intimate fellowship with God through Jesus Christ
  • Salvation by grace through faith
  • The presence of God's Spirit
  • My husband
  • My marriage
  • Our families
  • My hometown
  • God answering prayers
  • Our local church body
  • Seminary (& seminary wives)
  • The Word of Truth
  • Sweet friends
And just for fun:
  • New shoes
  • Running (as always)
  • Gluten free/dairy free birthday cake (but mostly gluten free cookies from Creme de la Cookie - courtesy of Ruth Poe!)
  • Springtime!
  • Birthday cards :)
  • My job
  • Car washes
  • Clouds in the morning
"Praise the LORD! Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!" -Psalm 106:1

"Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!" -Psalm 107:1

"Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man!" -107:8

"I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds." -Psalm 9:1

"Give thanks to the LORD with the lyre; make melody to him with the harp of ten strings!"
-Psalm 33:2

Isn't good to give thanks to the Giver?

No comments:

Post a Comment